College Within Reach – Mentees
If you can say yes to all these questions, you might be interested in joining our mentoring program.
- Do you have a family military connection?
- Are you a middle school or high school student between the ages of 12-17 years old?
- Do you want to attend college or enter the workforce after you graduate from high school?
- Would you like to have a team of professional adults and peers to support you as you learn about and apply for college and jobs?
If you join the College Within Reach 4-H National Mentoring Program, you will work with a mentor selected specifically for you. You will participate in fun learning activities that will help you prepare for college and or your first job. You will also have the opportunity to create a network of friends with other students who are connected to military families.
What You Get to Do
In this program, you will partner with a mentor who is chosen for you based on your interests. Your mentor will meet with you at least 4 hours each month to discuss your college and career plans and your strategy to make it happen. In these meetings, you can explore which colleges you might want to attend based on programs the colleges offer, as well as the culture of different colleges. The mentors can also help you think about different career paths you might be interested in exploring.
Each month you will participate in fun, interactive programs that connect you to other students who are also interested in preparing for college and careers. This will help you create a support network while having fun meeting new people. You will also have the opportunity to meet new people and build your network at the regional events with mentors and families, which will be held 5 times during the year.
What You Have to Do to Participate
- Complete application and screening process for the program
- Complete activity and time reports, and evaluations throughout the year
- Participate in scheduled online and in person activities and events
How Much Time It Will Take
The program is a one-year commitment. During the year you will:
- Meet a minimum of 4 hours each month with your mentor
- Participate in regional training events and activities with your family and mentor throughout the year (5 meetings)
- The initial kickoff will be in Raleigh, NC
- The time and location for each monthly meeting will be determined by you and your mentor.